Monday, April 9, 2007

Road Trip #3 - New Years 2007 (Part 1)

Yup I'm still playing my little game of catch up in cyberspace...

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but last year around August, one of my friends in South Africa gave me a call and said he was thinking of coming to New Zealand. I was ready with a few pointers of course and would you believe it, one week later he had bought his plane ticket! Now Pieter was scheduled to arrive in Auckland on 1 January, no jokes, he spent new years eve of 2007 crossing timezones at 35 000 feet!


I decided it a good excuse for another road trip so, 2 breaths after sparrow fart on 31 December 2006 I set off on the first leg of the journey. I planned to take a scenic route from wellington to Taupo, the halfway stop to Auckland, smack bang in the middle of the North Island.

I reached Taupo with daylight to spare. Here I had my first (and until now the last) bout of hayfever since being in New Zealand. After stopping at a pharmacy for a quick fix and treating myself to some 1st class curry for dinner I checked in at the backpackers. I've always known German people love beer and a good party but this new years eve I got first hand proof of it! I shared the backpackers with quite a few tourists being 1 American and like 15 Germans. Great people for sure! At 12am, 1 January was welcomed with fireworks and German drinking songs... Funny funny. Soon after 12 I retired to get ready for a early start...

Following my trusted and proven method of staying away of the beaten track, I found a few quaint sites and enjoyed serene scenes. Here are a few to share...


Leaving Wellington

Keeping under the speed limit

Little back-country church, pretty isn't it?

Hills in the country side

Windfarm outside Palmerston North

Desert Road - The eastern side of Mt Ruapehu

The Tui beer brewery - World famous in New Zealand :)

What the???

Lake Taupo just before sunset

Majestic Mt. Ruapehu behind lake taupo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lekker Louis, dit lyk goed ou maat. Daai spoedlimiet is dalk net iets wat my tot raserny sal dryf.

Anonymous said...

Groete Haig

Louis van Zyl said...

Hey hey Haig ou maat!

Hehe, janee die spoed limiet is iets om aan gewoond te raak. Die manne reken daar is niks om voor te jaag nie, Island style, coke en 'n chill... Hulle weet net nie hoe lekker dit is nie! Jy gehoor? Augustus gaan ons WRC se New Zealand ronte kyk... :o) yea baby!

Anonymous said...

Yip en ons Rally is volgende naweek, ek het darem `n kaart wat sowat 300 fotos kan neem so ek sal maar die kiekies stuur !!! Gaan julle ouens da mis!

Tips game said...

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I'll try to get the hang of it!
Tips Game
My Chanel
Tips Android